Chicago Bulls Codexery

International Amphitheatre

The south-side warehouse where the Bulls played their first season.

The International Amphitheatre holds a distinct place in Chicago basketball history as the inaugural home of the Chicago Bulls during their 1966–67 season. Located on the city's south side in the Canaryville neighborhood, adjacent to the Union Stock Yards, this indoor arena opened in 1934 and was originally built for $1.5 million by the Stock Yard company to host livestock exhibitions. While it served as a vital venue for conventions and concerts, its brief tenure with the Bulls marked a unique chapter before the team permanently relocated to Chicago Stadium. The arena seated approximately 9,000 for sports and provided an industrial atmosphere that contrasted sharply with modern facilities.

Primary Use (Bulls Era)
Home Court
Tenure with Franchise
1966–67
Location
Chicago, Illinois (Canaryville neighborhood)
Capacity (Basketball Configuration)
9,000

Verified Timeline

193419521966196819941999

Lore & Background

Before the Bulls arrived in 1966, the International Amphitheatre had already hosted major national events, including five presidential nominating conventions between 1952 and 1968. Built to replace the Dexter Park horse track after a fire in 1934, it was one of the first arenas equipped with air conditioning and dedicated press facilities. When the Bulls played their inaugural season there in 1966–67, they utilized the venue's 9,000-seat capacity for basketball. The team played only once at another location during that first year: a playoff game against the St. Louis Hawks at the Chicago Coliseum because no other arena was available for the date. This single-season stint highlighted the Amphitheatre's role as a temporary but essential launchpad for the franchise before they moved to Chicago Stadium, where they remained until 1994.

In Their Own Story

The Bulls' time at the International Amphitheatre was defined by necessity and transition rather than long-term dominance. In 1966–67, the team called this livestock-turned-arena home for their entire regular season. The building's history as a hub for televised boxing and wrestling meant it was accustomed to high-energy crowds, though its primary function remained rooted in the agricultural shows that had defined Chicago for decades. The arena featured exposed steel and a layout designed for versatility, hosting everything from rock concerts by Led Zeppelin and The Beatles to college basketball games. For the Bulls, however, the arrangement was short-lived. After just one year, the franchise sought a more permanent solution, eventually settling at Chicago Stadium while the Amphitheatre continued to host other events like the Chicago Cougars of the WHA in the 1970s.

Reader's Guide

Visitors seeking the site of the Bulls' first home court will find that the International Amphitheatre no longer exists. The arena was demolished in August 1999, ending a 65-year run that began with its opening on November 30, 1934. Today, an Aramark Uniform Services plant occupies the land where the arena once stood on the west side of Halsted Street at 42nd Street. A portion of the former convention hall extension remains standing and is currently occupied by Lakeshore Beverage. While no physical structure marks the spot for basketball fans, the location in the Canaryville neighborhood near the old Union Stock Yards serves as a historical marker for where the Bulls began their journey in 1966.

Did You Know?

More in Stadium & Culture

Related in Chicago Bulls

Links follow this subject's own source article.

Elsewhere in the Chicago Bulls universe

Spotted an error? Know more?

This is a living reference — every entry is fact-audited, and reader corrections feed straight into our audit queue. Suggest an edit · See this site's audit record

Comments

Loading…
Open in the interactive codex →